Texas A&M University’s College of
Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) is ranked No. 6 in the
world and No. 3 in the United States by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), an
educational services firm that has rated the top 50 veterinary medicine schools
Established in 1916, the CVM is the
only veterinary school in Texas and is one of the country’s largest with a
current enrollment of 527 students. Many of its programs are nationally ranked.
Texas A&M’s College of Veterinary
Medicine & Biomedical Sciences has a strong tradition of excellence in
serving the citizens of the state of Texas and our nation through education,
research, service, and outreach. Serving all of Texas, as the only college of
veterinary medicine in the state, the CVM supports the state’s livestock and
wildlife industries and provides viable diverse professional career paths for
Texans by promoting science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)
The college’s innovative,
collaborative, and transformative work is making a difference around the world
and will have a positive impact on the health of animals, humans, and the
environment for many years to come. The CVM’s reputation is positively
influenced by the commitment at Texas A&M to develop leaders of character
dedicated to serving the greater good and to hold strong to its six core
values: excellence, integrity, leadership, loyalty, respect, and selfless
The CVM is committed to robust
collaborations with the other colleges and units on campus and beyond.
Recently, Texas A&M identified societal impact areas of notable strengths,
termed “Grand Challenges.” The CVM is the lead college for the One Health Grand
Challenge and is facilitating new collaborative efforts across disciplines,
colleges, and institutions to enhance animal, human, and environmental health.
One Health programs include research teams, as well as student learning
communities, which include veterinary, medical, public health, agriculture,
graduate, and other students working in an integrated environment. The CVM’s
International Programs encourage faculty and students to look beyond our
borders and to solve problems on an international scale.
The CVM has awarded more than 7,100 DVM
degrees. Its graduates include outstanding leaders within the profession, such
as those who have served as presidents of the American Veterinary Medical
Association, Veterinary Specialty Organizations, the Texas Veterinary Medical
Association, the World Veterinary Association, the World Equine Veterinary
Association, and other national and international veterinary organizations. The
college recently broke ground on a new $120 million Veterinary and Biomedical
Education Complex that will be completed in May 2016. In partnership with Texas
A&M AgriLife, the CVM recently held the grand opening of the Thomas G.
Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex, the $33 million education and outreach facility
which represents Phase One of the $80 million Equine Initiative Complex.
1916 – School of Veterinary Medicine
was established and Dr. Mark Francis was appointed first Dean.
He became known as the "Father of the
Texas Cattle Industry" for developing a method to immunize cattle against
1920 - First graduates (4) received DVM
degrees from Texas A&M.
1929 - Texas A&M Student Chapter of
the American Veterinary Medical Association was organized.
1949 – Veterinary Library opened, later
expanding to become the Medical Sciences Library. The library contains one of
the most comprehensive collections of veterinary medical references in the
world, among them a historic collection in veterinary medicine and equine
science spanning the 16th through 19th centuries that was acquired by the Texas
A&M University Libraries in 2010.
1952 – Gilberto S. Trevino was one of
the first Hispanic men to receive the DVM from Texas A&M.
Sonja Oliphant Lee was the first woman
(1966), James L. Courtney (1968) the first African American man, Dorthea T.
Robinson the first Hispanic woman (1968), and Dana Johnson (1987) the first
African American woman to follow suit.
1953 – The first Veterinary Medical
Teaching Hospital was constructed.
1955 – Veterinary Sciences Building was
1957 – Willis W. Armistead ’38 became
the first graduate of Texas A&M to serve as President of the American
Veterinary Medical Association.
then seven additional Aggie graduates have held this office:
Dan J. Anderson ’38 (1962), Harry J. Magrane
’43 (1975),William L. “Dub” Anderson ’53 (1977), Alton F. Hopkins ’54 (1986),
Leon H. Russell ’65 (1993), Bonnie V. Beaver ’72 (2004), and Larry M. Kornegay
1963 – School of Veterinary Medicine
designation was changed to College of Veterinary Medicine and in 2004 to
College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM).
– Inter-agency agreement partnership was established with the Texas
Department of Criminal Justice to provide veterinary care for its farm
operations (1,500 dogs; 1,400 horses; 25,000 swine; 15,000 cattle; and 300,000
poultry); this partnership continues and is of immense value to students and
1970 – Biomedical Sciences (BIMS)
undergraduate degree program was initiated.
1971 – Professor Duane “Dewey” Kraemer
(while at the Southwest Foundation for Research and Education in San Antonio)
performed the first commercial embryo transfer in cattle.
974 – Willis W. Armistead ’38 became
the first DVM graduate of Texas A&M to serve as Dean of another veterinary
school (Founding Dean, University of Tennessee).
Since then, 4 other Aggie DVM graduates have
held deanships: H. Richard Adams ’66 (University of Missouri, 1992-1998; Texas
A&M, 1998-2009), Joe N. Kornegay ’73 (Missouri, 1999-2006), and Deborah T.
Kochevar ’81 (Tufts, 2006-present).
975 – David Carlton served as the
first Aggie President of the Student American Veterinary Medicine Association
Other Aggie presidents have
included Travis McDermott (2005) and Ricci Karkula (2014).
1976 - Professor Duane Kraemer reported
the birth of the first non-human primate, an Anubis baboon, by embryo transfer.
He subsequently reported the first births of cats and dogs by embryo transfer.
With his students and colleagues, he has conducted pioneering research on
non-domestic and endangered species such as addax, desert bighorn sheep,
blackbuck antelope, suni antelope, klipspringer antelope, American bison,
white-tailed deer, axis deer, fallow deer, Armenian red sheep, chimpanzees,
western lowland gorillas, killer whales, bottlenose dolphins, Asian elephants,
African lions, giraffes and okapis. In 2006, he received the International
Embryo Transfer Society's Pioneer Award.
1978 – First endowed professorship in
the CVM was created:
the Richard and
Rhody Schubot Professor of Avian Health Chair.
Donors have since endowed the Chester J. Reed Chair in Veterinary
Medicine (1983), W.P. and Bulah Luse Professorship in Comparative Genomics
Research (1985), Mark L. Morris Endowed Professorship in Veterinary Clinical
Nutrition (1988), Sid Kyle Endowed Chair in Veterinary Toxicology (1991), Wise,
Lewie, and Worth Chair in Cardiology (1999), Tom and Joan Reed Chair in
Veterinary Surgery (1999), Pin Oak Stud Chair in Stallion Reproduction (2004),
Patsy Link Chair in Mare Reproductive Studies (2005), Dr. Charles H. and
Mildred Kruse Bridges Chair in Veterinary Medical Education (2006), Earline and
A.P. Wiley Endowed Chair in Veterinary Medicine (1987), Carl B. King Deanship
in Veterinary Medicine (2006), Dr. Fred A. and Vola N. Palmer Chair in
Comparative Oncology (2007), Helen McWhorter Chair in Small Animal Medicine
(2008), John Tom Campbell '45 Research Chair (2008), Glenn Blodgett Endowed
Chair in Equine Studies (2011), Velma and James R. Saunders DVM '41 Veterinary
Faculty Chair (2013), and Katherine and Rebecca Rochelle Chair in Oncology
1978 – Paulette Ellis was the first
African American woman to graduate from the BIMS program.
1981 – Small Animal Hospital was
1984 – Stephen Safe became the first
faculty member in the CVM to hold the university title of Distinguished
Other faculty since granted
this title are James E. Womack (2001), Timothy D. Phillips (2012), and Ian R.
1990 – CVM faculty established the
Interdisciplinary Faculty of Toxicology, which obtained the first National
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences-funded Superfund Basic Research
Program, Toxicology training program, and Center of Excellence grants.
1993 – Ann B. Kier ’74 became first
woman department head in the college.
1993 – Veterinary Research Building and
new Large Animal Hospital were constructed.
1993 – Stevenson Companion Animal
Life-Care Center was founded.
1993 – Novasil® was patented by CVM
professor Timothy D. Phillips; an estimated 10 percent of the world’s animal
feeds now contain this clay-based sorbent to detoxify the mold poison
1994 – Professor Michael D. Willard
received the National Norden Teaching Award for veterinary medicine.
Professor G. Anton received this award
(renamed Pfizer Distinguished Veterinary Teaching Award ) in 2011.
1999 – Partnership for Environmental
Education and Rural Health (PEER) was established to provide state outreach to
K-12 students to stimulate interest in science and technology.
1999 – CVM researchers cloned the first
of six different mammalian species, more than any other academic institution.
Cloning resulted in the births of “Second Chance” (1999, first calf cloned from
an adult steer in the world), “cc” (2001, first cat cloned in the world), and
“Paris Texas” (2005, first horse cloned in North America), as well as deer,
goat, and pig clones.
investigators were Professors Duane C. Kraemer, Mark E. Westhusin, Jorge
Piedrahita, and Katrin Hinrichs.,
1999 – CVM Distinguished Professor
James E. Womack was elected to the National Academy of Sciences, also receiving
the Wolf Prize in Agriculture in 2001.
1999 – Michael E. DeBakey Institute for
Comparative Cardiovascular Science and Biomedical Devices was established.
2005 – CVM Professor Leon H. Russell
’65 was elected first American President of the World Veterinary Association.
2005 – Texas A&M Veterinary
Emergency Team (VET) was established as the first emergency response team in
the state and the largest and one of the most medically sophisticated
veterinary emergency teams in the nation dedicated to responding to animal
needs in a disaster.
2007 – Texas A&M Institute for
Preclinical Studies (TIPS) was established for preclinical development of drugs
and devices to treat diseases of companion animals and people.
It is one of the few good laboratory practice
(GLP) large animal facilities in the nation and offers imaging capabilities
that are among the best in the world.
2007 – CVM researchers began publishing
several of the first vertebrate whole genome sequences: short-tailed opossum
(first marsupial sequenced in the world, 2007), American Quarterhorse (2012),
Scarlet Macaw (2013), and Bobwhite Quail (2014).
Beginning in 2002, CVM, Baylor College of
Medicine, USDA, and University of Illinois scientists spearheaded the creation
of the Bovine Genome Sequencing Project under the umbrella of the National
Human Genome Research Institute.
2009 – Dr. Eleanor M. Green became
first woman named dean of the CVM at Texas A&M University.
2009 – CVM Research Building Annex was
completed with 26 additional laboratories.
2009 – CVM became the first veterinary
teaching hospital to receive American Animal Hospital Referral Practice
Accreditation, reflecting the highest standards in veterinary medicine.
2009 – CVM Professor Timothy Phillips
received Sigma Xi Walston Chubb Innovation Award, which honors and promote
creativity among scientists and engineers, for his research on technologies to
improve food and feed safety.
2010 – CVM Professor Barbara Gastel
received the Sigma Xi John P. McGovern Science and Society Award for her
outstanding contribution to science and society though the advancement of
science editing and communication.
2011 – CVM Diagnostic Imaging and
Cancer Treatment Center was established, one of two veterinary facilities in
the nation to offer tomotherapy for cancer treatment and the only one to
accommodate large animals.
2012 – CVM became the lead college for
Texas A&M’s One Health Initiative, one of six societal Grand Challenges by
which the university will chart its priorities for future investment and
innovation. Since 2012, five distinguished faculty members were hired in the
CVM to lead the expansion of multidisciplinary research efforts in toxicology,
genomics, regenerative medicine, and infectious disease.
2012 – “Veritas” was launched as a
first-in-kind public-private partnership between CVM, the Cornell University
College of Veterinary Medicine, and Pfizer Animal Health (now Zoetis) to create
a state-of-the-art learning environment for veterinarians everywhere.
2013 - Center for Cell and Organ
Biotechnology was launched for regenerative medicine research.
The Center is a research superiority award of
Texas Emerging Technology Fund representing the collaboration between the Texas
Heart Institute (THI), CVM/Texas A&M University, and the State of Texas.
2013 – Clinical rotation in shelter
medicine and animal welfare was established for all 4th year DVM students at
the Houston SPCA, the largest animal sheltering organization in Texas.
2013 – Dr. Bonnie V. Beaver was
selected for the AVMA LEGENDS Award.
2014 – CVM and Texas A&M College of
Agriculture and Life Sciences dedicated Phase I, a $35 million component, of
the $80 million Texas A&M Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex.
2014 – CVM Avian Complex was
2014 – CVM broke ground on new $120
million Veterinary & Biomedical Education Complex that is designed to serve
the veterinary educational needs of Texas in the future.
2014 – Aggie DVM Deborah T. Kochevar
’81 became first woman President of the AAVMC.
Dean Eleanor M. Green will start her term as second woman President in
2014 – As of May 2014, the CVM has
graduated 7,400 DVMs, over 8,700 undergraduates in Biomedical Sciences, 674
M.S. students, and 509 Ph.D. students.