Iverson Bell Award
The next Iverson Bell Award will be announced in 2018.
Nominees may be an individual within a college/school of veterinary medicine or external to a college/school of veterinary medicine. The individual need not be a veterinarian.
Who may nominate
Any individual employed at an AAVMC member institution.
The awardee will be notified in December 2018. The awardee is expected to attend the AAVMC Annual Conference and Iverson Bell Symposium in March 2019 to receive the award and make a presentation on the topic of diversity in veterinary medical education. Awardee's reasonable costs (registration, travel, housing, meals) for attending the Annual Conference will be covered by AAVMC. The awardee is encouraged to submit their presentation to the Journal of Veterinary Medical Education for publication.
What to submit
1. Nomination letter addressing the award criteria (see below)
2. Supporting documentation, not to exceed 10 single-sided pages
Where to submit materials
Materials should be submitted by email to email@example.com
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in academic veterinary medicine through contributions that may have impact in any area–college, local area or region, state and/or national arenas.
- Played a significant role in the recruitment, development, and retention of pre-vet and DVM students, faculty, residents and interns from underrepresented or disadvantaged and/or marginalized groups.
- Included and promoted diversity in the veterinary medical profession through the inclusion/infusion of diversity issues in the college environment through programming and curriculum additions.
The AAVMC Diversity Committee appoints the award committee from among its members.
Background of the award and recent past recipients
The biennial Iverson Bell Award is given in memory and recognition of Dr. Iverson Bell's outstanding leadership and contributions in the promotion of diversity in veterinary medical education.
Past recipients of the Iverson Bell Award
2017 Dr. Allen Cannedy
2015 Dr. K. Paige Carmichael
2013 Dr. Ronnie Elmore
2011 Dr. Willie Reed
2009 Dr. Tracy Hanner
2007 Dr. Halcyon Watkins
2005 Dr. James Coffman
2003 Dr. Alfonza Atkinson
2001 Dr. Louis Archbold
1999 Dr. Eugene Adams
1997 Dr. Sylvia Graham
1995 Dr. Albert Dade
1993 Dr. Walter Bowie
1991 Ms. Patricia Lowrie
1989 Dr. Billy Hooper