**NEW** Join the AAVMC Engagement System. This email program allows you to receive customized, targeted emails based on your status (High School, Freshman & Sophomore, Pre-Vet, Parents, etc...). Click on the subscribe button below to join:
The number one question students want to know about becoming a veterinarian:
"How do I get into Veterinary School?"
How to Prepare in High School
- Gain a solid background in math and science.
- Take part in extracurricular activities (athletics, school clubs, FFA, etc)
- Study and maintain a high GPA and high SAT/ACT scores.
- Acquire as much experience with pets as possible. Consider volunteering at your local humane society or with a local veterinarian.
How to Prepare as a College Undergraduate
- Take a pre-vet or comparable curriculum, that is, one that includes math and several science courses such as biology and chemistry.
- Maintain a high GPA
- Gain as much broad exposure to veterinary medicine as possible. Consider job shadowing with veterinarians, scientists, working on a farm or volunteering at an animal shelter.
- Schools have different requirements for standardized test scores. For a list of requirements by school go to: Test Deadline Chart
- Join a Pre-Vet club. Most colleges and University have a chapter. See more information below:
The AAVMC and VMCAS are proud to collaborate with the American Pre-Veterinary Medical Association (APVMA).
Through its website, the APVMA has a number of resources for students who are thinking about veterinary school, as well as those that are getting ready to apply through VMCAS. To learn more about the APVMA, click on their logo at left or click the link above to go to their facebook page.
The 2014 APVMA Symposium held annually at a U.S. Veterinary College. Click HERE
for more information.
APVMA "VetVids" project is up and running.
We're pleased to bring you the first installment of the APVMA's VetVid Series. In this video: Check out their episode featured in the link below where Molly Corder (APVMA President) interviews Cleveland Equine Clinic's Dr. Corey Paradine about her career as an equine veterinarian.
AVMA Series on Becoming a Veterinarian (Three Parts)