Colorado State University




Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences


After an impassioned plea for better veterinary education from Dr. George Glover to the Colorado State Board of Agriculture in 1906, the Department of Veterinary Science was permanently established in 1907 at Colorado Agricultural College – now Colorado State University. At that time, there were no veterinary schools between Kansas City and San Francisco, and the Meat Inspection Act of 1906 had created a need for more professional training.

Dr. Glover went on to head the American Veterinary Medical Association, campaigning to standardize veterinary education nationwide. He fought to regulate the dairy industry and eradicate tuberculosis in the milk supply. The professional degree program he founded was well positioned, as the 20th century brought new challenges to veterinary medicine. Outbreaks of hog cholera and bovine tuberculosis in Colorado required veterinary and food-safety expertise. Two world wars called upon veterinarians to care for animals on the battlefield.

By 1948, the program had grown to offer graduate work in the departments of pathology, bacteriology, veterinary physiology and anatomy, zoology, and parasitology. Nearly 20 years later, in 1967, it became the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. In 1979, the college opened a new state-of-the-art Veterinary Teaching Hospital, now named for another iconic former dean, Dr. James L. Voss.

More than a century old, the college is home to the academic departments of Biomedical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, and Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. Along with these departments, the college houses several world-renowned units, including the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital, the Flint Animal Cancer Center, the Animal Reproduction and Biotechnology Laboratory, the Equine Orthopaedic Research Center, and the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories.

The CSU Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Program consistently ranks in the top three veterinary schools in North America and continues to excel in providing educational and experiential opportunities to future veterinarians. Like the founder, Dr. Glover, these individuals will lead future efforts in public health, disease control, veterinary care, food safety, biotechnology, higher education, and research.

The CSU College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences – with about 1,650 undergraduate, graduate, and DVM students – prides itself on robust teaching, research, and clinical service activities that advance veterinary, human, and environmental health by focusing on translational medicine and One Health programs.




  • 1907 – Dr. George Glover drafts an ordinance for local food inspection legislation to ensure clean, sanitary milk and meat products.  The ordinance serves as a model for other American cities.
  • 1915 – Dr. Harry Kingman takes the first radiograph of a horse’s hoof, opening up a new world of veterinary diagnostic medicine.
  • 1924 – Drs. I.E. Newsom and Floyd Cross identify the presence of paratyphoid dysentery and coccidiosis in feedlot sheep, marking the first time that either of these afflictions had been truly described with respect to sheep.
  • 1957 – Dr. William D. Carlson helps organize the first professional group of teaching veterinary radiologists, the Educators of Veterinary Radiological Science.
  • 1963 – CSU partners with the U.S. Agency for International Development and three other universities to provide the staff necessary to establish a veterinary faculty at the Royal College of Nairobi. The “Kenya Project” lasts 15 years.
  • 1981 – The Mycobacteria Research Laboratories is established and has since received more than $100 million in research funding from federal and private organizations.
  • 1982 – Dr. Bernard Rollin, Professor of Philosophy, becomes the first person to teach an animal ethics course at a U.S. veterinary school.
  • 1982 – Dr. Wayne McIlwraith becomes the first veterinarian to adapt revolutionary arthroscopic surgery to horses. Following the surgery in 1985, Spend A Buck wins the Kentucky Derby.
  • 1983 – Miki, a lilac-point Siamese cat, receives the world's first bone-marrow transplant to correct a rare disease - Mucupolysaccharidosis VI - an inherited disease that occurs in children and cats.
  • 1984 – The first twin foals, named Question and Answer, are born from a split embryo at the Equine Reproduction Laboratory.
  • 1984 – The Argus Center is founded to offer client support services and veterinary communications education, one of the first programs of its kind in North America.
  • 1985 – Colorado State becomes the first U.S. university to offer an equine sciences major.
  • 1991 – Dr. Chris Orton establishes an open-heart surgery program leading to valve replacement surgery in dogs beginning in 1997.
  • 1993 – Pathology Professor Martin Fettman travels aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia as a payload specialist, becoming the first veterinarian in space.
  • 1996 – Firecracker, the nation's first test-tube foal, is born at the university's Equine Reproduction Laboratory.
  • 2002 – The Flint Animal Cancer Center officially opens its doors.  The roots were planted by Dr. Ed Gillette, a radiation biologist and veterinarian, and Dr. Stephen Withrow, a veterinary surgeon, in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
  • 2003 – The Veterinary Teaching Hospital establishes a biorepository that provides a library of tissue samples from canine cancer patients. Current holdings are more than 21,000 samples.
  • 2006 – The Prion Research Center is the first to demonstrate the presence and transmission of chronic wasting disease in body fluids.
  • 2009 – The James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital unveils its new big bore PET/CT scanner, which can be used on large and small animals, becoming the first hospital in the nation to incorporate the technology into clinical practice.
  • 2014 – Dr. Ed Hoover, developer of the first and most widely used vaccine for feline leukemia, is named to National Academy of Sciences.

Find a Veterinary School Near You! Friday, September 8, 2017

AAVMC Accepting Award Nominations

read more Thursday, August 17, 2017

Nelson Installed as AAVMC President, U.S. Deans Gather During Summer Meeting

read more Monday, August 14, 2017

Pakistan's UVAS, United Arab Emirates University Join AAVMC as Affiliates

read more Journal of Veterinary Medical Education