Universite de Montreal

Université de Montréal


The Faculté de médecine vétérinaire (FMV) of Université de Montréal (UM) is located in Saint-Hyacinthe, City of Agri-food, Veterinary and Agroenvironment Biotechnology, 60 km north-east of the main campus and in the heart of Québec’s leading agrifood region. The FMV stands out thanks to its strategic position at the crossroads of English-speaking North America and the French-speaking world. As the only francophone veterinary college in America, it benefits from its ties with international Francophone veterinary teaching institutions, European veterinary establishments, and with the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC).

Drawing on solid traditions stretching back over 125 years, the FMV looks to the future with confidence based on its solid roots and past achievements. Since its foundation in 1886 by Victor-Théodule Daubigny, the Montréal School of Veterinary Medicine forged ahead with energy and determination. As one of the founding members of the newly created University in 1920, the College remained in Montréal until 1928. Due to the decline of the horse population in the city, it was moved to the rural village of Oka, close to the College of Agriculture operated by Trappist monks. In 1947, the college finally settled in Saint-Hyacinthe under the management of the Ministry of Agriculture of Québec. In 1969, the school changed its status from an affiliated school to a Faculty (College) of the UM and became the FMV, a step that led to unprecedented growth in graduate and postgraduate research and teaching.

Nowadays, the Faculty has 440 students in the Doctorat en Médecine Vétérinaire (DMV) program and 215 postgraduate students. Its teaching and research faculty hail from all over the globe, and collaborate with colleagues worldwide who are interested in animal health and welfare and advancing knowledge in biotechnology, agrifood and public health. The FMV also attracts students from around the world and provides them with a quality education that opens doors for them wherever they go.



  • 1964 – Inauguration of the Large Animal Hospital.
  • 1969 – The Ministry of Agriculture cedes The Quebec School of Veterinary Medicine to Université de Montréal. The new École de médecine vétérinaire de l’Université de Montréal obtains the official status of Faculty.
  • 1972 – The Animal Reproduction Research Centre (CRRA) is created by Dr. Patrick Guay. The CRRA focuses mainly on reproduction in large domestic animals and is among the most important research centres in this field in North America.
  • 1975 – École de médecine vétérinaire changes its official name to Faculté de médecine vétérinaire de l’Université de Montréal.
  • 1975 – Inauguration of the Companion Animal Hospital.
  • 1981 – Creation of the Laboratory for Escherichia coli. Along with its worldwide reputation, it is officially designated as a Reference Laboratory by the OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health).
  • 1982 – Creation of the Research Group on Infectious Diseases of Swine (GREMIP), the most important research group on swine bacterial diseases in North America.
  • 1982 – The results of Dr. Daniel Martineau’s research on the health of belugas are published throughout the world. Belugas have since become a symbol of endangered species in heavily industrialized and populated ecosystems.
  • 1985 – Dr. Pierre Lamothe plays a key role in the training of several veterinarians to master the semen collection and embryo transfer techniques.
  • 1986 – The Birds of Prey Clinic is inaugurated by Dr. Guy Fitzgerald.
  • 1986 – We celebrate 100 years of French-language veterinary medicine teaching in America.
  • 1989-1995 – Identification of three new serotypes of group Streptococcus suis isolated from swine by Dr. Marcelo Gottschalk and Dr. Robert Higgins, leading to a globally accepted classification.
  • 1990 – Creation of the Dairy Herd Health Improvement Program (ASTLQ) by Dr. Michel Bigras-Poulin, Dr. Émile Bouchard and Dr. Denis Du Tremblay and development of computer tools for farm animal management.
  • 1993 – Creation of the Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Center (CCWHC) under the supervision of Dr. Daniel Martineau
  • 1994 – Production of interactive teaching material (CD-ROMs) and guidelines for the safe use of ultrasound on dairy cattle (Dr. Paul Carrière, Dr. Luc DesCôteaux and Dr. Jean Durocher), sold in more than 50 countries.
  • 1994 – Dr. Daniel Dubreuil, Dr. Marcelo Gottschalk and Dr. Réal Lallier produce a serology kit for the swine pleuropneumonia (making it the first product commercialized by the FMV).
  • 1998 – The DVM becomes a five-year program to meet the profession requirements.
  • 1999 – Creation of the Poultry Research Chair (Dr. Martine Boulianne), the first industrial chair at the FMV.
  • 1999 – Creation of the Meat Safety Research Chair (Dr. Sylvain Quessy) which broadens the knowledge about meat hygiene and the control of foodborne pathogens.
  • 2000 – Birth of Starbuck II, the clone of Canada's most famous bull, the result of Dr. Lawrence Smith’s work.
  • 2005 – Inauguration of the Poultry Research Centre (Dr. Martine Boulianne), a joint venture with McGill University and funded by the Canada Foundation for Innovation ($4.22 million) and its private partners ($3 million)
  • 2006 – Dr. Simon Dufour establishes the Canadian Bovine Mastitis Research Network; a network of 40 scientists from 9 Canadian universities and 2 federal research centres.
  • 2006 – Dr. Jean-Pierre Lavoie and his research team develop a new equine asthma model which enables them to study the reversibility of airway remodelling and to correlate changes with lung function, inflammation and gene expression.
  • 2008 – Dr. Bruce Murphy demonstrates that the Lrh1 gene is essential in regulating ovulation. His finding is featured in Québec Science’s annual list of health science discoveries.
  • 2008 – Launch of the renovation and expansion of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (CHUV) after five years of development and investments of over 74 million dollars.
  • 2008 – Inauguration of the Public Health Pavilion which brings together experts of the FMV, the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
  • 2009 – Dr. Raymond S. Roy, honorary Dean of the Faculty, is awarded the title of Doctor Honoris Causa from Université Claude Bernard (Lyon 1) for his remarkable contribution in the development of the FMV.
  • 2011 – Production of the first pluripotent stem cells for horses by Dr. Lawrence Smith.
  • 2011 – We celebrate 125 years of French-language veterinary medicine teaching in America.
  • 2012 – Inauguration of the Veterinary Diagnostic and Disease Surveillance Complex (CDEVQ), backed by a $52 million provincial investment. The CDEVQ is the only francophone training facility of its kind in America. It includes 50 employees from the FMV and experts of the Quebec Animal Pathology Laboratory.
  • 2014 – Launch of the new competency-based DVM program which allows students to master management, communication and leadership tools and principles.

Find a Veterinary School Near You! Thursday, August 17, 2017

Nelson Installed as AAVMC President, U.S. Deans Gather During Summer Meeting

read more Monday, August 14, 2017

Pakistan's UVAS, United Arab Emirates University Join AAVMC as Affiliates

read more Monday, May 22, 2017

University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine Wins 2017 AAVMC Communications Excellence Award

read more Tuesday, May 16, 2017

New VMCAS Cycle Opens for Applications to Veterinary Medical School

read more Journal of Veterinary Medical Education