AAVMC by the Numbers
Membership and Governance
Membership by Type
U.S. Schools: 30
Canadian Schools: 5
Colleges of Veterinary Medicine: 6
Departments of Veterinary Science: 8
Department of Comparative Medicine: 7
Total Members: 71
Veterinary Medical College Application Service
VMCAS 2015 Summary
Schools Using VMCAS: 36
Total DVM Programs: 39
Number of Applicants: 6,681
Number of Applications: 29,348
Average # of Schools Applied to: 4.4
Annual Revenue: $2,429,044
VMCAS 2016 Important Dates
VMCAS Launch: May 13, 2015
VMCAS Deadline: September 15, 2015
Regular Annual Meetings: 3
Typical Attendance at Largest: 250
- Deans Conference (January)
- Annual Conference (March)
- Summer Meeting (July - August)
Journal of Veterinary Medical Education
Frequency of Publication: Quarterly
Circulation: 2,400 Print Copies
Print and online access is free to AAVMC member institutions.
Founded in Illinois: 1966
VMCAS Launched: 1995
Incorporated in D.C.: 1997
AAVMC Programs and Services
- Journal of Veterinary Medical Education
- Veterinary Medical College Application Service
- Student Debt Initiative (Follow-up on Donna Harris Report)
- Leadership Academy
- Annual Conference
- Summer Meeting
- Deans Conference
- Veterinary Educator Collaborative Support
- Partners for Healthy Pets Support and Programming
- Distinguished Veterinary Teaching Award
- Excellence in Research Award
- Senator John Melcher, DVM Leadership in Public Policy Award
- Iverson Bell Award
- Advocacy Summit and Congressional Reception
- Student Advocacy Externship
- Meetings with Congressional and Executive Branch Leaders
- Representation with an array of issue coalitions
- Patricia Lowrie Diversity Leadership Scholarship
- Institutional Research (e.g. Climate Survey)
- Press Releases
- Electronic Newsletter
- Annual Report
- Comparative Data Report
- Advocacy Survey
- VMCAS Applicant Data
- Fulfillment of Data Requests
- Recruitment (Program in Development)
- VMSAR (Admissions Publication)
- Wetterberg Scholarship Administration (Activity Ending 2013)
Regular AAVMC Meetings
Total Attendees: 200 - 250
Institutions Represented: U.S., Canadian, and international schools and departments. Deans, associate deans, and other faculty attend, as well as individuals from other stakeholder groups outside of schools (e.g. corporations, AVMA, etc.).
Program: Held in Alexandria, VA. Three days of programming on topics in education, diversity, leadership, administration, and other issues facing veterinary medical education. Also includes award presentations, a large evening reception (all stakeholders in DC area invited), and a veterinary medical career fair for children and teens up to high school age.
Total Attendees: 35 - 60
Institutions Represented: U.S., Canadian, and international schools and departments. Usually attended by deans (or other main institutional representative) only.
Program: Held at the AVMA Convention. Consists mainly of business meetings of the Board of Directors and Assembly. Sometimes includes joint meetings with other groups and associations.
Total Attendees: 30 - 45
Institutions Represented: U.S., Canadian, and international schools (accredited only). Limited to deans only.
Program: Consists of a half-day of presentations, followed by two more half-days of free flowing topical discussions on issues of importance to colleges in veterinary medicine. Also includes a welcome reception, and has included another reception and plated dinner for the Deans. Many deans also bring their spouses to this event.
Click here to for profiles of data trends in veterinary medical education.
Click here to view tuition data by location and institution.